Network and Server monitoring

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at iesabroad.org
Sat Sep 10 22:48:11 UTC 2005

> On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 10:50, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 11:03, Jonathan Carpenter wrote:
> > > I am looking for a way to monitor my servers status. I am also
> > > wanting to monitoring specific process or daemons as well
> and alert
> > > me when there is an issue either by email or pager. I would also
> > > like to have some sort of IDS or log checking that will alert me
> > > when there is a lot of activity in my secure log or
> messages log out of the ordinary.
> > > My network is blocking icmp packets so I cannot ping each
> server at
> > > the current time. Can anyone recommend anything for me? Any help
> > > would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a huge nagios fan.  Its very easy to write custom plugins for, its
actively maintained and a new major release will be coming out fairly
soon.  2.0 beta 4 has been out since 8/05.  Its not the most trivial
thing to set up the first time.  Just be patient with the first set of
config files you work with, once everythings up and running though its
really great.

	-Mike