Antivirus

John Moore database1 at qualitycareforchildren.org
Mon Sep 12 22:04:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 17:51 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Marcus Zingmark wrote:
> > I guess this can become a big question of opinion but, wich Antivirus
> > software is the top of the notch? If I want something with a nice gui
> > that's userfriendly, of course, often updated virus definitions and at
> > last, without any costs?!
>
> For Linux?
>
> There's not much point to having an anti-virus program to stop Linux
> viruses. There aren't enough of them, and to the best of my knowledge,
> they all exploited security holes in the OS. Keep up to date with
> updates, and you should be all right.
>
> (Note: I haven't been keeping close track, but the only exploits against
> Fedora installations that have been reported here have been because
> people have installed web applications that have been insecure).
>
> No, the reason for having antivirus on Linux is to scan e-mails,
> fileshares, or web proxies. All of those are (normally) configured with
> a command line, and you'd have to use a command line to set them up.
> Once they're set up, there's next to no need for a UI anyway.
>
> With that in mind, I've been finding clamav to be as good as anything
> else I've seen for frequency of updates and reliability.
> http://www.clamav.net , http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html , or see
> Fedora Extras.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail address: james | Important note: when washing your brain out with
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | nitric acid, it is important to stop *after* you've
>                       | erased the distressing images and *before* you get
>                       | the urge to install AOL. -- Jim Andrew

9.12.2005

Personally, I have found that F-Prot is great.  I have messed around
with Clamav and it worked for a while but then crapped out.  Not only
that, you had to mess around way too much to get it to do a thorough
scan.  F-prot has great documentation, updates are frequent, and it just
plain works.  Highly recommend it.

John