[SPAM DETECT] Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Sep 13 15:44:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-09 at 23:05 -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
...snip...
> I just plugged in STX: doesn't appear to be supported, but i'll play a
> little.
> I looked up QuickCam Pro 4000 as well: is it true that it supports
> crazy resolutions like 1280x960?
>
> Daniel, are you able to view QuickCam Pro 4000 stream from within
> Gnome Meeting window, or do you have to use an external app, like vlc?
> Also, are you able to use the built-in mike on QuickCam Pro 4000?
...snip...
I had a QuickCam Pro 4000 hooked up for a while, and yes the
microphone does work. The microphone was one of the things
that seemed to be the least of my problems. One problem I
ran into was that the microphone was detected but then my
sound "card" stopped working. I had to mess around with
the module configuration and initrd to get everything working
automaticaly. Some things needed to be started before others
but I can't remember for sure what order it was. The webcam
broke and and have not replaced it.

Maybe it was old drivers, but I was never able to get better
than 320x240 out of the 4000.