filesystem corruption problem

chris fedora at parallelsw.com
Wed Sep 14 19:36:25 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I installed FC4 on a dual processor PIII server I have running.  The box
is running an NFS server, DHCP server, and NAMED (among others).  I do
have a couple of other Linux installations on other partitions, but the
system basically runs 24x7.

My problems started soon after I installed FC4 (Had Mandrake 10
installed and running without issue for about a year before moving to
FC4).  After about 2 weeks of running core 4 the  /dev/hda9 partition
(/home) on my hard drive became corrupted (fsck could not fix it
automatically).  The drive is automounted from other systems in the
network (rw).  I fixed the corruption manually with fsck, but, I am now
seeing that the root partition '/' is now corrupted, along with
/dev/hda9 (/home) again.  This system is about 7 years old now, and does
have a $59.00 special IDE (WD) Hard drive, but I have not seen any
problems with any of the hardware until I did my recent upgrade to FC4.
I looked in /var/log/messages and have not found any hardware problems
(No errors at all logged).

I saw a couple of posts about corruption problems with USB backup
restores, but nothing related to a fresh/new install. I'm looking for
ideas on how to verify this is a hardware problem before I do anything,
I don't know what to look for without any errors existing in the logs.

thanks,
chris