display compressed to 2"

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Wed Sep 14 08:22:51 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 17:55, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> Thomas Taylor wrote:
> >On Tuesday 13 September 2005 15:42, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> >>The last time I booted FC3 up,  the display was verticaly compressed to
> >>about 2-3"
> >>
> >>I had previously looked at the video settings while in gui mode using
> >>the system settings display application. I was not logged on as root,
> >>but had to use su password to see the settings.
> >
> >Which gui are you using (kde, gnome, other)?
> >
> >In kde, under menu > system settings > display, you do have to enter the
> > root password, is that what you mean?  Or are you trying to perform "su"?
> >
> >>I made no changes, but got a message that I would have to re boot to
> >>save changes (which I had not knowlingly made)
> >
> >In kde, after viewing/changing the display settings, there are only two
> >choices, either "cancel" or "OK".  Cancel won't save anything.  OK will
> > make changes in the appropriate files but should only need a service
> > restart, not a reboot.  Not sure about gnome, don't use it.
> >
> >>I can increase the vertical disply using the wheels under the monitor
> >>enough to increase the display to about 4", so that I can read whats on
> >>the display.
> >>
> >>I used the Find application, and File Browser to locate the files
> >>/etc/X11/xorg.conf and the original configuration saved as
> >>/etc/X11/xorg.backup
> >>
> >>I set view to show hidden files, and got the message that the files
> >>could not be found.
> >>
> >>I next re booted and logged on as root, but got the same message.
> >>
> >>I then clicked on the computer icon, and then the file icon and found
> >>those files.
> >>
> >>I printed them out, and compared them line for line, and found no
> >>differences, indicating that nothing had been changed.
> >>
> >>I next booted a live cd, and it displayed its desktop correctly.(not
> >>compressed vertically)
> >
> >This shows that the problem is not with the hardware since a different
> > distro worked properly.
> >
> >>ViewSonic 5E Monitor settings:
> >>    Hsync 31 - 60
> >>    Vrefresh 50 - 90
> >>
> >>Videocard0
> >>    Matrox Millennium G400
> >>
> >>How do I get FC3 to display normally?
> >
> >It won't help you this time, but for the future, it would be a good idea
> > to always make a backup of /etc to a CD or second harddrive.  This will
> > allow you something to go back to or to verify from.
> >
> >HTH,
> >Tom
>
> I was using the gui listed as "Default" I am given the choices "default"
> and gnome after clicking on "Session" before logging in.

So you must be running gnome since it is the default manager under RedHat.

What you should try is to replace the /etc/X11/xorg.conf with
the /etc/X11/xorg.backup.  You will need to go to command line and log in as
root to do that.

init 3
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.save
cp /etc/X11/xorg.back /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx

Hopefully that should fix the problem.  If not, let the list know and include
the following information.

	FC3 version (final or test)
	gnome version
	cut & paste the contents of xorg.conf
	not sure what other programs would apply in gnome, perhaps someone else
		coould supply that

I assume from your original message and reply to my message that you are a
relative newbie to linux and probably not yet comfortable in command line.
It's always beneficial to become at least somewhat proficient in cli usage,
some things are best (or only) done in cli and require root access.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467