OT - has my email domain been hijacked?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 14 23:43:15 UTC 2005

From: <kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com>
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 14:16, jdow wrote:
>> Kevin, it's called a "Joe Job". It is exceptionally common. Headers in
>> email are pathetically easy to forge as far as the ones that existed
>> while the email was still on the sender's machines. Often if you trace
>> the received headers you find "discontinuities" in the chain if the
>> spammer bothered to forge them anymore. This is one of the things that
>> automated tools like SpamAssassin have gotten pretty good at finding.
>> The spammers are into cleverer tricks these days. Spammers still use
>> the "Joe Job", the forged sender, most of the time. I use it as one of
>> my customized SpamAssassin rules, as a matter of fact. It's part of a
>> set of rules and meta rules that can work on my addresses.
... lots deleted

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Can you send me info on what a spam assasin filter to catch these will
> need to
> look like?

May I suggest several things.

1) Join the spamassassin users list. http://www.spamassassin.org will
   get you there even though it is an Apache project now.
2) Visit the SpamAssassin Rules Emporium, SARE, and look over the
   various rule sets. http://www.rulesemporium.com/
3) Visit the admittedly iffy SpamAssassin wiki. (Pointer on their
   main page.)
4) Brush up on your perl regular expressions and read the wiki entry
   on making your own rules.
5) Do *NOT* run anything other than 2.64 or 3.04. Earlier versions of
   either string are either trash or subject to DoS attacks. 3.04 seems
   to be reasonably stable. (It has a perl based problem with per user
   rules (not per user scores) if the rules require a perl eval be run.)
   2.64 is also stable. But it's getting old.
// Joanne's general rules for a SMALL SpamAssassin server.
6) Do NOT use auto-<anything>. Turn off auto-learn. Turn off auto-
   whitelist. They cause problems with the default settings. If you must
   use them set the trigger scores farther apart in both directions.
7) Permit at least per user Bayes. Per user scores are good as well.
   Some people consider the darndest things to be ham or spam. One
   person's gold is another person's cow manure. Per user rules are
   nicer yet, IFF your users are smart enough to do it right. (Loren
   and I are. Erm, he is one of the SARE ninjas.)
8) As noted visit SARE and setup to use as many rule sets as seem safe
   for your needs. (I use about 42 of them.) It saves ME having to look
   at a new series of spam using a new trick to find a common identifying
   feature around which a good rule can be made.
9) Set the BAYES_99 rule up to about 5 points once your Bayes is well
   trained. Here it hits over 50% of all spam and 0.000% of ham. If it
   hits I figure it is a VERY small chance it's messed up. It took a
   year to get there.
10) Turn off auto-Bayes everything. Since you are not training Bayes on
    almost every message there is no need to expire it periodically
    either. I've never expired mine. And I find I need to train with
    one or two low scoring spams every few days.
    a) Setup an IMAP server on your machine that is NOT outside accessible,
       of course. Create IMAP folders for spam and ham for each user.
       have the users slide samples of good ham and definate spam into
       their respective folders. Use a cron job to train on these.
    b) I grab ham samples from various mail sorts in my OE setup. I use
       POP3 for grabbing mail and a separate IMAP "account" the ham and
       spam. I am particular about copying most escaped spam to the spam
       folder. (Some has so little indentifying virtue to them I shrug
       and let them go away. Although even the geocities.co.uk url only
       spams are worth Bayes training.) I also look at the lowest scoring
       spam messages and see if their Bayes score is abnormally low. If
       it is and there's training meat present I toss them into the
       spam training folder.
11) That brings us to another good idea, NEVER simply delete spam. Check
    to see if it is a bozo friend sending you a peculiarly formatted
    chunk of ham or if it is a customer trying to reach you from AOL.
    (Well, same thing, really. But...) I tell spamassassin to encapsulate
    spam in a mime layer and add something like **** SPAM **** 024.5 **
    to the subject line. Then subject lines with **** SPAM **** in them
    get tossed into an OE spam folder. I can sort by score nicely. And
    that makes getting the low scores nice.
12) The man spamassassin page is not quite worthless if you want to do
    something peculiar.  "man Mail::SpamAssassin" is better if you want
    details.
13) You MUST have a trusted mail server somewhere in your chain. It may
    simply be your own or it may be your ISPs if you use fetchmail as I
    do. Trusted in this context *ONLY* means that the server can be
    trusted far enough to NOT forge any addresses itself. So that is the
    place the DNS based rules can start from.
14) SURBL (Jeff) and URIBL (Chris) are good guys. Watch the scores on
    other BLs you may use. Some are overly enthusiastic and catch some
    rather significant chunks of ham in their nets. I generally make sure
    they score LOW.
15) About the only useful "SPF" is a message that violates an existing
    SPF record. I give that a slight score.
16) The various "habeas" sort of things are not generally worth anything.
    The mad Russian sometimes forges them just for the grins and giggles
    of it. (He is also a very smart critter who plays manipulative tricks
    with his DNS servers that are beyond most people. It took me quite
    awhile of patient explanation to understand one of them.)
17) <well, that's enough for now. Just how dedicated to this do you want
    to be. If you're normal, which I'm not, I've gone past reality for
    you already. {^_-} But I will note that I had zero real ham marked
    as spam so far today and zero escaped spam. I did have two messages
    that were ham marked as spam because they contained very VERY spammy
    bodies. A coorespodent and I were discussing the mad Russian's tricks.
    And I don't have him whitelisted yet. I've been lazy and remiss. I
    pay for it with extra work recovering his emails from my spam folder.>

{^_^}