Re: unwanted mount

> > > I'm using FC4 with newest updates and gnome desktop. I have a partition
> > > which I don't want to be mounted automatically. Here's the line of
> > > my /etc/fstab:
> > >
> > > /dev/hda3               /mnt/hda3               ext3    noauto,user     1 0
> > >
> > > When I log in, the partition is mounted. When I unmount it it stays
> > > umounted until I log out/log in again. Then it's mounted again.
> > > Who mounts this partition at login and how can I turn it off?
> >
> > It is mounted because it is added in /etc/fstab. Just delete/comment
> > out the line and the partition wont mount on boot.
> >
> This shouldn't be necessary - having the "noauto" flag set should stop
> it being mounted. It is often useful to have entries in /etc/fstab for
> things you only seldom mount.
>
> Vassilios - during the boot process, do you see /dev/hda3 being mounted?
> Or does it seem to be mounted (and unmounted) as you login and logout?

I made some experiments:
a) booting into runlevel 3: not mounted
b) booting into runlevel 5 but not logging in: not mounted
c) logging in to gnome: mounted

After step b) I did a dmesg -c to see only what happens during c)
here's the result:

[willy kra:~] dmesg
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
SELinux: initialized (dev hda3, type ext3), uses xattr

Is kjournald the mounter? Is it because it is an ext3 partition? My
other partitions are xfs.

regards
vassilios