[HOW] Changing FC3 file system to accept longer file names?

I was wondering how do I get the FC3 file system to accept longer file names? I have a few files that are X characters long on my Mac OSX machine and when I move the files over to my FC3 system I get the error of the file being too many characters and to rename it. The problem is I can't rename these files for whatever reason. Help!

Thanks,
jay