unsubscribe

On 9/16/05, Steve Snyder <swsnyder insightbb com> wrote:
Is there a standard or rule-of-thumb regarding location of non-distribution
software packages?  I've read the HFS spec, but I'm still not clear on this.

Some packages, both RPM-based and tarballs, want to install in /opt and others
in /usr/local.  I don't perceive a pattern to where a given type of
installation prefers to install its files.

Given a choice in locations, where should I opt to install RPM packages, and
where should non-RPM software go?

Thanks.