/usr/local vs. /opt

A. G. prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 16 12:30:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 08:12 -0400, Steve Snyder wrote:
> Is there a standard or rule-of-thumb regarding location of non-distribution
> software packages?  I've read the HFS spec, but I'm still not clear on this.
>
> Some packages, both RPM-based and tarballs, want to install in /opt and others
> in /usr/local.  I don't perceive a pattern to where a given type of
> installation prefers to install its files.
>
> Given a choice in locations, where should I opt to install RPM packages, and
> where should non-RPM software go?

My preference is to put things which are spread out over the filesystem
Also, one-file packages (like alac) I usually stick in /usr/local as
well.

Things which are (or which I'd like to keep) self-contained in one
put into opt. The nice thing about the latter is that you can just rm
-rf <prefix>/<pkg> and be done with it.

Note that I usually don't follow the FHS for /opt by creating
an /opt/bin and other 2nd level directories that I'm supposed to. I
rarely see the point of that (then it's basically the same
as /usr/local).

--
prothonotar at tarnation dot dyndns dot org