private network

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 16 16:11:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 05:51:43 -0700,
  Vijay A Raghavan <rva_ec at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 FC-4 machines each having 2 lan ports. One
> port from each machine is hooked up to the internet. I
> am wordering how to set up a private network between
> the two machines using the second lan port.

If you want to can also use the crossover cable solution and route the
traffic destined for the other machine over the directly connected
interface. (I do something like this when I use my FC 4 box as a firewall
for Windows boxes. I have modifed ifup-eth so that I can easily use the
same IP address for outgoing packets on multiple interfaces using the
"peer" argument to ip.)
Using a different subnet is probably better in this case since both machines
have their own external connection, but if having multiple IP addresses is a
problem using a point to point connection better.