SElinux causes Nagios issues?

I have installed Nagios on Fedora 4, I have nagios and apache both configured however when I visit http://127.0.0.1/nagios/ I see the main page but then I get this error when I click on any option on the side of the page:

Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, root localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

my apache error log shows this:

(13)Permission denied: exec of '/usr/local/nagios/sbin/status.cgi' failed, referer: http://127.0.0.1/nagios/side.html

I read from a message board online that I may need to disable SElinux. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas why I might be getting this error? And if it could be SElinux how do I shut it off? I have edited /etc/selinux/conf and specified disabled but I am not sure how to turn it off.

              Thanks,

--
Jonathan Carpenter