FC3: How should /var/run be mounted?

Hi folks,

I have a separate partition for /var/, mounted thusly:

/dev/sdb7 on /var type ext3 (rw,noexec)

I used the standard fc install, specifying the extra partitions I wanted,
which produced the fstab with this entry.

Why is /var/run on a partition that's mounted noexec? That seems
problematic, since I thought /var/run was to be used for temporary
files/scripts, and obviously, scripts wouldn't execute.

Any folklore, history, etc regarding /var/run/ and linux is welcomed.

TIA.