Re: Aaargh! PAM slays me!

On Sep 16, 2005, at 9:26 PM, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:

listbox nedron net wrote:

This all worked fine under FC3. We upgraded the box to FC4, now no one is able to ssh in as root. The following error is generated in the /var/log/secure file:

sshd[6048]: fatal: Access denied for user root by PAM account configuration

Wouldn't it be safer to add specific users to the sudo file and have people who need root just do an su after logging in as them self?

I always hate it when someone doesn't answer my question but suggests an alternative like the above so apologies in advance if this won't work for you for some reason.

Heh. That's how I would normally handle it, but this is one of those "special" circumstances. The box is strictly a target for testing, resides by itself on an private, isolated /29 and is physically hard to get to. For this particular setup, I have to be able to come in via ssh as root. It's a long story. ;)

More than anything, I'm mostly interested in what has caused this and how to fix, just as a point of curiosity.

-David