Aaargh! PAM slays me!

David Nedrow listbox at nedron.net
Sat Sep 17 03:21:37 UTC 2005

On Sep 16, 2005, at 9:26 PM, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:

> listbox at nedron.net wrote:
>

>> This all worked fine under FC3. We upgraded the box to FC4, now
>> no  one is able to ssh in as root. The following error is
>> generated in  the /var/log/secure file:
>>
>> sshd[6048]: fatal: Access denied for user root by PAM account
>> configuration
>>

> Wouldn't it be safer to add specific users to the sudo file and
> have people who need root just do an su after logging in as them self?
>
> I always hate it when someone doesn't answer my question but
> suggests an alternative like the above so apologies in advance if
> this won't work for you for some reason.

Heh. That's how I would normally handle it, but this is one of those
"special" circumstances. The box is strictly a target for testing,
resides by itself on an private, isolated /29 and is physically hard
to get to. For this particular setup, I have to be able to come in
via ssh as root. It's a long story. ;)

More than anything, I'm mostly interested in what has caused this and
how to fix, just as a point of curiosity.

-David