Help with Core 4 install off-list

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 17 07:11:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 23:48 -0700, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> > if you were to bottom post rather than top post, it would be easier.
>
> I thought it was protocol to top post?
>
> > on Linux...
> >
> > sha1sum *iso --check SHA1SUM
>
> Okay so really naïve question...
>
> If I have not installed linux yet because I haven't booted the disks, and I
> haven't booted the disks because I haven't used SHA1SUM to verify that they
> are valid, how can I use linux to run SHA1SUM? From a terminal shell?
----
there might be an sha1sum utility in terminal shell on Mac OSX - I don't
have a machine available to test this out.

there likely is a standalone utility for Windows like there was for
md5sum which would be a quick and dirty download and test if you
downloaded to Windows system but I wouldn't know where to direct you for
this.

Yes, if you downloaded them onto a Linux system, you could indeed run
the sha1sum program from cli (a virtual terminal) as I indicated
earlier.

Otherwise, you can try to burn the CD's and I 'think' there is an option
to run 'linux mediacheck' as a boot option but if you get that far, the
disk is booting, it's more than likely going to work.

Craig

ps - I've yet to see a Linux or FOSS mail list that encouraged top
posting

believed to be clean.