RE: xorg-x11 may have broken my system

To: Jim Cornette,

Thanks, your suggestion to use rpm to restore old packages worked fine.  After the xorg-x11*.FC4.48.1 update caused the xserver to fail to init :0. my console access was unavailable.  Fortunately, I get into the linux box from either my laptop or Windows box via telnet or VNC viewer.  The linux box’s vncserver display on :1 was working fine.  Following reading your reply. I accessed a Fedora mirror site and downloaded all the rpms for xorg-x11*.FC4.45  and used your suggestion of rpm –Uvh with the –oldpackages option.  Xserver :0 now work fines again.

Thanks for helping the rest of us learn.

Harry Nicholls