How to create a partition inside an existing partition?

David Le davidcle at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 19:14:28 UTC 2005

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. My responses are included
below.

--david le.

--- oldman <talbotscott at cox.net> wrote:

> David Le wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Thanks everyone who answers my question about
> utility
> >to burn FC4 CDs. I was able to use Roxie to do
> that,
> >although it's not a free software.
> >
> >I'm a new user to FC4 and I'm really impressed
> about
> >its functionalities.
> >
> >I want to setup a dual-boot of WinXP and FC4 on my
> >labtop IBM ThinkPad T43. There is one physical disk
> of
> >80GB and there were already 2 partitions (created
> by
> >IBM when I bought this labtop): Partition #1
> (70GB),
> >partition #2 (4GB).
> >Question:
> >
> >1) Inside partiont #1, I want to create partions
> >needed for installation of FC4. How can I do that
> >correctly and safely?
> >

>     You don't create a partition inside another, but
> you must resize the
> existing partition then make a new partition.
> There are quite a few tools, the most famous being
> Partition Magic.  You
> should google for them, make sure that you get a
> non-destructive
> partitioner.

>From my search, there is a free trial version of
Partition Magic 8.0 and 8.01 available on several
websites. I guess it should be reliable and safe to
use?

> >It would be appreciated if you can give me as much
> >detail as you can.
> >

>     Installation is a HUGE subject to put into 1
> email, but I will
> suggest that it is 1000% easier if you have a
> second, blank hdd, so that
> you can be fairly fearless, knowing it is
> practically impossible top
> screw up your existing installation (in fact you
> won't have to mess with
> it much at all).
>
> Try this link as a start:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

You're right. I did this with my desktop PC and there
was no problem. Unfortunately, on my laptop, there is
no extra room for an addition physical disk. So I
guess I don't have any other choice except resize the
current partitions to make new partitions as you
suggested.