xorg-x11 may have broken my system

Harry Nicholls hnicholls at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 18 20:07:50 UTC 2005

I mean "fine" as in the xserver now works again. No matter what the good
intentions of release 37.FC4.48.1 were, if it breaks Xwindows on my PC, it
isn't any good to me. Sort of like the patches or updates put out by that
"certain well-known large software vendor", often break other things when
installed.

This list showed me very quickly that others were experiencing similar
results after installing the update. And the reply by Jim, gave me the clue
how to recover.  Just before sending this message, I reinstalled 48 on the
PC with the Intel Corp 82845G/GL chipset video card and Xwindows definitely
will not work.  I installed the update on my dual boot Dell 8200 laptop,
which has a Nvidia GeForce 440 GO video and the update (37.FC4.48.1) works
fine, if you'll forgive that word again. I've entered into the Redhat
network configuration to exclude the xorg updates on the Intel 845 PC until
I see the revision at 49 or higher. I'll try it again then, but it's very
nice to know how to go backwards in these rpm installs.

I try the 48 update on the FC4 server at work, which I believe has an S3
video and see what happens. I'll be wiping out RedHat 9.0 on the backup
server at work and going to Fedora Code 4, next weekend.

The plan now is to, on the long weekend in October, completely erase Fedora
Core 4 on my Dell 8200 laptop. While Fedora Core 4 works "fine" on the 6
other installations, including the x86-64 version, it literally sucks
(performance wise) on my laptop. Anything, I want to in Linux on the laptop
is done through the VNC server, which seems to run very fast. The laptop
previously had RH 9.0 on it and that was also very fast, performance wise.

Harry