[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

The recent xorg update (from 45 to 48.1) DID break my system.

Yesterday, in a message with
  Subject: Fedora Core 4 on Dell Inspiron 6000
I explained how I got FC4 working with an Intel 915GM video

After I posted that message, I updated from 45 to 48.1.  X ceased

Thinking that the 915gm updates "fell out", I re-installed them.
These are from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/
This did not solve the problem.

I happened to still have the 45 RPMs (sounds like a hunk of vinyl)
around, so I replaced the 48.1 packages.  I then re-installed the
915gm updates.

X now works.

NOTE: the xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-37.FC4.48.1 package was not
cleanly downgraded.  I don't know why.  Here is the message:

/sbin/ldconfig: relative path `1' used to build cache
error: %postun(xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-37.FC4.48.1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

rpm -q says both the 45 and 48.1 version are installed.  Highly
unlikely since they conflict.  I guess that 3d might be broken on this
installation, but I've never knowingly used it anyway.


I cannot submit a clean bugzilla report.  After all, I was trying to
use this on an unsupported chipset by patching a bunch of components.
But I will add to


I've got Xorg.0.log files for 45 and 48.1.  The differences are too
great to include here, but I will list some differences that I
consider interesting

diff old/working vs new/broken

--- Xorg0.log-OK.45	2005-09-18 22:11:42.000000000 -0400
+++ Xorg0.log-badX48.1	2005-09-18 21:56:40.000000000 -0400

Interesting that the build system was 2.4 as late as last month!

-Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp i686 [ELF] 
+Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-1.906_ELsmp i686 [ELF] 
 Current Operating System: Linux g69.mimosa.com 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 #1 Fri Aug 26 20:29:51 EDT 2005 i686
-Build Date: 31 August 2005
-Build Host: decompose.build.redhat.com
+Build Date: 14 September 2005
+Build Host: tweety.build.redhat.com

differs on stolen memory:

 (II) I810(0): 2 display pipes available.
-(II) I810(0): detected 7932 kB stolen memory.
+(II) I810(0): no video memory detected.
+(WW) I810(0): Detected stolen memory (0 kB) doesn't match what the BIOS reports (7872 kB)
 (II) I810(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 955388 kB available

 (II) I810(0): BIOS now sees 12288 kB VideoRAM
-(--) I810(0): Pre-allocated VideoRAM: 7932 kByte
+(--) I810(0): Pre-allocated VideoRAM: 0 kByte
 (==) I810(0): VideoRAM: 65536 kByte

-(II) I810(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xf8c7a000 to 0xb7eb3000
+(II) I810(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xf8c7a000 to 0xb7e8a000

bind key stuff fails on bad system.  This looks like it is the
immediate cause of failure:

 (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 failed.
-(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 7 at 0x007bf000 (pgoffset 1983)
-(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 0 at 0x0ffff000 (pgoffset 65535)
-(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 1 at 0x0fffb000 (pgoffset 65531)
-(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 3 at 0x0ffea000 (pgoffset 65514)
.... goes on for miles (good!)

+(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 7 at 0x00000000 (pgoffset 0)
+(WW) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: binding of gart memory with key 7
+	at offset 0x0 failed (Invalid argument)
+Fatal server error:
+AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]