trouble after update xorg- * rpms on FC3

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Sep 19 03:15:12 UTC 2005

Yuandan Zhang wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Yuandan Zhang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I  normally keep my system updated (FC3) using yum. However, after I
>>> updated  xorg rpms, for example,
>>>
>>> xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.FC3.13.i386.rpm      to
>>> xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.FC3.45.i386.rpm,
>>>
>>> the xterminal can't be booted. I can only boot the system by set the
>>> default boot level to 3. The Xwindow just displays a smear  screen
>>> and  not reponding.
>>>
>>> How to fix it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Yuandan
>>>
>> Intel video?
>

> Yes, it is intel video.
>
>> What you need to do is to install the older rpms for xorg-x11. You
>> can get these off of your installation DVD or CDROMs. For the DVD,
>> all needed packages should be located in one spot. For CDROMs, the
>> needed packages could be located on several of the discs.
>>

> I tried to install the old package using rpm -Uhv --oldpackage
> xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.FC3.13.i386.rpm, however there are interdependences.
> failed to disentangle the depenmdences.
> please advise how to roll back the xorg*FC3.45.i386 to xorg*FC3.13.i386??

xorg -x11 contains many individual packages. You need to copy all of the
needed packages related to xorg within a single directory. For CDROMs
you might need to make a directory for the rpms and transfer them from
the CDs to the directory that you made. Once the files are located in
the directory that you made, change to that directory. Within that
directory (as root), type rpm -Uvh xorg*.i386.rpm --oldpackage

As a list of packages related to xorg. I have the following on my
system, though they are development, the packagenames ought to be similar.

It might be safer and easier to change the entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "vesa"

You can use the editing program called nano to edit this file as root. I
use mc and its editor, but you probably do not have this program on your
system.

Jim

 rpm -qa |grep xorg
fonts-xorg-base-6.8.2-1