Re: LVM/EXT3 extending

Alain PORTAL wrote:
Hi,

I need extending a logical volume that hold my /var partition.
I read in the LVM HOWTO (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html) that "Unless you have patched your kernel with the ext2online patch it is necessary to unmount the file system before resizing it."

I have an FC4 fully updated. Is the provided kernel patched with the ext2online patch?

ext2online does usually work in FC4. It depends on how big the filesystem change you need to make is.

If not, a possible solution should be like https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-June/msg05578.html

boot rescue mode

# lvm
lvm > lvextend -L20G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05
lvm > exit
resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05

reboot

Am I right?

Looks reasonable. Try ext2online first though.

Paul.