monitoring vpn tunnel for stats without snmp.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:17:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 02:39, Gregory Machin wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for a way to generate historical stats of the taffic on a
> vpm tunnel ..
> but dont want to use snmp - dont have time to learn the in's and out's
> and dont want to open more port on the firewalls.

Usually when you want to save time, you use the tool designed
for the job instead of inventing something new.  Snmp was
made for this job and one of the easiest ways to use it
is cacti (http://www.cacti.net/).

> Need to be able generate stats on
> bandwidth used but the tunnel,
> bandwidth used but each protocol on the tunnel etc ..

I don't think you'll find anything for that last one.
Ntop (www.ntop.org) might be close if you run it
on the machine with the traffic or on a hub or
switch port configured to see all the traffic.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com