Can't add second disk to FC4 to rsync every night.

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Sep 19 14:47:35 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 06:00, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > >
> > > Now it seems that with LVM the drives are tied together into a bigger
> > > volume.  I don't want this.  I want to keep them separate.
> >
> > It did this by default, without asking? I'm amazed.
>
> The time it 'asks' is during the install when you have a checkbox
> list of drives to include.  The default now is to include
> everything checked in one lvm.  I'd like to find a handy guide
> to moving, cloning, and recovering data from such drives.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

Would it work if you were to put the drive into an external
USB or firewire case and start it after the system is
running?

If it is a problem at boot time only, it may not bother
with the volume information after boot. Just a guess,
may be worth trying.

We use rsync with 300GB external firewire drives to backup
our servers without any problems, but they are not
formatted as part of an LVM group.