Re: installing Fedora w/o booting from CD

On or about 2005-09-19 12:14, joao miguel ferreira 19740720 portugalmail pt whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Mark,

What you suggest is no longer possible. If you consult the instalation manuals
of fc3 and fc4 you'll see it is written there (somewhere).

I had the same problem and this is what I did:

- downloaded a mini floppy distribuition called tomsrtbt, with all that is
needed to format a filesystem and also containing wget
- with wget I downloaded the install images (all files in directory isolinux of
the first cdrom)
- I created a GRUB floppy using gru-install and edited the grub.conf file to
point to the install images
- then I reboot the pc and grub booted, I choose to boot the install image and
then I do a http or nfs install from anothet machine..

that's it.

jmf
Couldn't you just create a GRUB floppy and use grub.conf to transfer boot the CD-ROM?

With something like
title BootCD
   rootnoverify (sda,0)
   chainloader +1

where (sda,0) needs to be changed to whatever the CD is. (I shouldn't make too many suggestions about things like this; only one of my five machines actually still has a floppy....)

--
Fritz Whittington
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. And tomorrow isn't looking good either.