gray up2date icon in FC4

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Sep 19 17:10:51 UTC 2005

Amadeus W. M. wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:38:37 -0700, oldman wrote:
>

>>Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>>

>>>Why does the up2date applet in FC4 think it can't connect to RHN (showing
>>>a gray circle with a red diagonal line as in "access denied"), when if I
>>>start the applet, up2date works fine?
>>>

>>    The applet turns gray when the RHN servers can't be reached. usually
>>you need to
>>right click on it and select check for updates to have it try to connect
>>to the servers again.
>>If they are up again the applet will become blue again.  Or (as you
>>discovered) clicking
>>on it and running a session will "fix" it (assuming the servers are up)
>>
>>Scott
>>

>It remained gray even though the update worked flawlessly.

    That's strange, though the applet and up2date are separate
programs.  try right clicking the applet and choosing exit, then go to
the menu Applications-->System Tools-->Red Hat Network Alert Icon and
see if that helps.

>I wish it
>didn't work though, because the old X server bug hit me again, and I had
>to downgrade to the original xorg rpms, do the libvgahw.a trick, etc.

    You might check the repo at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/
(I assumed i386) and download the last rpms (a bit of a pain, but better
than going all the way back )  Or, if you set up up2date for it you have
a copy of updated rpms in your /var/cache directory (IIRC)

>What a pain... Why is something being shipped with FC, if it doesn't work
>as it should?

    Good question.  Possibly someone just didn't realize updating
up2date to use yum style repomd formatted files would break the Alert
Icon, OTOH maybe Fedora/Redhat wants Fedora to move away from the RHN
and to use yum exclusively.  As to the problems you and others had with
the xorg unfortunately no one noticed it in rawhide and reported it
before release, I have a very old ATI graphics card and always have
trouble with the openGL, so I'm always bugzilla'ing.

> I have a mainstream intel motherboard + video chip and this
>bug still manifests after it has been reported to death and after so long?

HTH
Scott