xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Tue Sep 20 01:37:52 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette said the following on 9/19/2005 8:18 PM:

> Alex Janssen wrote:
>
>> Jim Cornette said the following on 9/19/2005 7:10 AM:
>>
>>> It looks to me by your results that the older package is intact and
>>> that rpm thinks that the only difference during verification is the
>>> particular LibGLU.so.1.3 version.
>>> In other words, The new package is not actually present on the
>>> system, the older package is installed on the system. Both versions
>>> are in the rpm database though. To make upgrading your system
>>> easier  whenever X is fixed and a new release comes out, removing
>>> the db entry  for the newer version might be needed.
>>>
>>> Interesting information about the script breakage. This is surely a
>>> problem.
>>>
>> This surely is a problem.  For me too.  Anyone figured out how a
>> newby no-nothing could repair this?  I've been trying to figure this
>> out since Saturday.  Do you think X.org will re-issue the update so
>> it will fix itself if I just do "yum -update xorg-x11*"? Or is it
>> going to be more complicated?
>

> This would be an ideal solution. Changing your video driver from i810
> to vesa and living with the  lesser graphics quality is probably best
> for right now, since security is at risk with backdating.
>

>> Alex
>>
> Just to post on the security announcement on the xorg list, a link is
> below.
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-September/010082.html
>
> For my gripes to the xorg list, see the link below.
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-September/010091.html
>
> Jim

I just want to get my graphics interface back.  I don't care who did
what to who for ...
Why don't they test this stuff before they distribute it?
Everything was going great.  I was showing off linux(FC3) to all my
friends and now I'm trying to hide it.  I tell 'em, I'm to busy right
now to show it to you, come back later, like next week.  I hope I can
get this fixed before then.
Somebody post a fix!  Please.  I was actually using linux more than
windows xp for once and now this!  Well, I know FC is a test bed.  I
probably should switch to a more managed distro.  I don't think I can
stomach this... I think I'm going to hurl ... mmm mmm ...
I just did "yum install xorg-x11*",  it dl'd some modules and installed
them, but X was still crippled.
Is there any way to back up?

Alex

--