xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Joachim Backes backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Sep 20 06:10:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 21:37 -0400, Alex Janssen wrote:
> Jim Cornette said the following on 9/19/2005 8:18 PM:
>
> > Alex Janssen wrote:

> >> This surely is a problem.  For me too.  Anyone figured out how a
> >> newby no-nothing could repair this?  I've been trying to figure this
> >> out since Saturday.  Do you think X.org will re-issue the update so
> >> it will fix itself if I just do "yum -update xorg-x11*"? Or is it
> >> going to be more complicated?
> >

> > This would be an ideal solution. Changing your video driver from i810
> > to vesa and living with the  lesser graphics quality is probably best
> > for right now, since security is at risk with backdating.
> >

> >> Alex
> >>
> > Just to post on the security announcement on the xorg list, a link is
> > below.
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-September/010082.html
> >
> > For my gripes to the xorg list, see the link below.
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-September/010091.html
> >
> > Jim
> >
> I just want to get my graphics interface back.  I don't care who did
> what to who for ...
> Why don't they test this stuff before they distribute it?

Hi, I fully agree. The FC4/x11 quality was rather poor (first the
trouble with libvgahw.a, then this problems).

Having troubles too with my Siemens Amilo notebook. Switching to the
VESA driver is no solution because of bad screen quality (I tried it:
X11 is runnning again, but how????!!!!).

--
Best regards

Joachim Backes <backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany