SCSI TAPE drive on IDE Box

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:20:36 UTC 2005

On 9/20/05, Amar Kumar Padhi <TC00474 at emirates.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am planning to get an external Tape Drive to be used with my Desktop PC.
> This is an IDE supporting ASUS PC. I do not have SCSI ports or support on my
> PC.
>
> Most of the latest support DAT tape drives in my region are SCSI based and
> I don't have a choice but to try and use a slot for a SCSI to PCI card- and
> then connect the device.

There's no real difference between an on-board or PCI SCSI card. Both are
connected to the PCI bus and the same types will use the same drivers.

> My question- has anyone of you done something similar (le me no!). How is
> the kernel support if I go for such a card.

As long as you buy a supported SCSI card it will work. You'll need to make
sure the card can handle the data transfer rate from the tape drive and use
the correct cables and termination.
Adaptec cards are expensive, but I've had zero problems with the Linux
drivers. Symbios (former NCR) cards were working fine last time I checked
(and are a lot cheaper).
For less known brands you may need to do some research to find out if they
are supported.

Klaasjan