xorg-x11 update may have broken my system

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 21 02:54:19 UTC 2005

Alex Janssen wrote:

> I ran "yum update xorg*" as soon as I got home tonight and the update
> fixed the problem.   I new these guys were working on it hard.  They
> wanted me to be able to show off linux to my friends without
> embarrassment.
>
> Thanks Xorg.
>
> This is hard on my nerves, though.
>
> Alex

Both Kristian and Mike seemed to resolve this issue quickly (and others
behnd the scene, if any). The explanation of the problem in the bug
report presented was informative to understand what exactly went wrong
and what actions are being taken to make X to not have mysterious
lockups that happen for no known reason and with no easy way to diagnose
what exactly is going wrong. I believe the patch related to pci control
governed by the kernel and not directly addressed by the X server was
where X broke. I guess support for a wider range of Intel chipsets was
part of the upgrade also. Does anyone have later model Intel graphics
that now works?
Also, out of curiousity, those wth Intel 810 or 815, was X broken with
the previous security release? My card worked, I am just trying to
figure out if it was my resolution settings (1280x1024 at 24) or if the
810/815 cards were not broken for others either. (1024x768 at 16 for example).

For the person having the Quake tournament, good luck now since X should
be working again.

At least now your friends will be able to see how Fedora, or Linux
distros in general are supposed to work.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.