booting gets stuck when starting PCMCIA

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Wed Sep 21 03:37:36 UTC 2005

I have this brand new Sony VAIO VGN-S470P laptop and I just installed FC4
on it. Installation went unexpectedly smooth, but upon first boot, the
computer freezes at starting PCMCIA.

Of course the laptop came with factory installed XP, so I had to shrink
the NTFS partition. I did that using Knoppix 4.0 and upon the first
attempt to boot knoppix, the same thing happened, it got stuck at starting
PCMCIA. In Knoppix there was the "nopcmcia" option to boot without, and so
I managed to get in, but I tried that in FC4 and it's still trying to
start PCMCIA.

Is there a kernel option to avoid starting PCMCIA upon boot? Otherwise,
I'll probably have to boot the rescue cd, chkconfig, etc.

Thanks!