X problem with i810 on latest update

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 02:34:32 UTC 2005

Leon Stringer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just updated my X packages to the latest ones posted and they didn't
>work with my Intel i810 on-board VGA.
>
>The old xorg-x11 packages which work were 6.8.2-37.FC4.45.
>
>The one's that don't work are 6.8.2-37.FC4.48.1.
>
>So if you've got an i810 keep a copy of the old packages if you want to
>try upgrading.
>
>Also: is there a log of what changes in these packages? I'm guessing
>that since only the numbers after FC4 have changed this is a revision of
>the package and not any X11 files. What's been done to break this and
>can I report it as a Fedora or upstream bug?
>
>Regards,
>
>Leon...

What you need to donload is the version of xorg-x11 from the
updates-testing repository. I tested it out on an Intel 865G and it
works. There was an introduced abnormality with the packages though. I
had to offset my horizontal setting on my display from the centered 50
position over to the 70 position to get it to display the full details
on my screen. With the pre-security update, my settings seemed to need
no offset. I never tried the version of xorg from the updates
repository. Another user experienced less crisp images on a computer
that seemed identical to the computer that I was using. His settings
were lower in resolution, where he saw the fuzziness and I saw a shift
in horizontal scanning.

As root:
nano /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo

edit the file to enable the repo.
[updates-testing]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Test Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-testing-fc$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test

run yum -y update "xorg*"

After X is installed, you can edit
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo to prevent other packages
from being pulled in from the testing repository.

There is a way to enable testing temporarily. I never used it before. It
enables the repo temporarily. Either another lister can give details as
to how to temporarily enable repos or yum man pages or info pages might
explain how to do this.

Sorry for the harder way to enable the repo. I assume you are running
without X.

Jim

--
QOTD: