Grub doesn't install

Ian mogplus8 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 22 04:09:15 UTC 2005

Thanks for the tips, I will try them.
As I mentioned in my original email, when I tried fixmbr in recovery
console under XP I got so many dire warnings about doing it I chickened
out. I can't afford to lose my Windows disk. (At the very least I'll
have to do some backups first. Maybe I should do that anyway... ;-) ).
I'll try the linux rescue, chroot /mnt/sysimage thing again (I've
installed Mandrake again but will install FC4 again to try it) but last
time it told me there was a problem with /hdb1 not having a valid BIOS
something, I will take note of the full message next time.
I know Windows is on /hda, /boot was on /hdb1, swap was on /hdb5 and
root (/) was on /hdb6. I think that's how it went anyway. I'll do it
again and make notes this time. I know it's difficult to diagnose
problems with sketchy information.
Thanks again,
Ian