Re: Help with Samba

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Harol Hunter wrote:

> I'm having a problem configuring samba to access my LAN, when a make
>
> $ ping machine
>
> what I get is
>
> unknown host machine

Start with the basics. If you cannot ping the machine by name you need to fix
your name resolution problems. Either put all of the machines in /etc/hosts
(difficult to maintain for more than a couple of machine.) or setup up a name
server.

You might want to look here: http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
for details about the various ways to setup samba.

> However if make
>
> $smbclient -L \\machine
>
> or try to see it in Nautilus, samba does recognize the machine , even
> when I can't access it because when I try it says
>
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> machine = W2K
>
> and I'm using FC4

Other than the part I commented on above you do not really give any useful
information on your configuration. Try reading the debugging parts of the
samba book.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl rogueind com		Spamtrap address mtd123 rogueind com