Forthcoming FC4 kernel update, more testing required.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Sep 24 15:10:36 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 24.09.2005, 11:22 -0300 schrieb George White:
> Quoting Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>:
>
> > AFAICS there is still no support for yum from FC4 in your repo :-(
> >
> > Without it is nearly useless IMHO...
>
> Kernels deserve special attention, so as long as the new kernel doesn't involve
> a long list of dependencies yum doesn't add much.

I disagree.

>  In any case, it is very
> simple to create your own local repos, using createrepo (8) (Create repomd
> (xml-rpm-metadata) repository).

Consider me as a person that always wants to test the latest kernel that
davej releases at the above place. What works better for me: The current
scheme:

scheme 1:
- think "hey, maybe davej released a new kernel"
- fire up you browser
- go to the repo from davej
- check manually if there is a new kernel
- download it. wait for download
- fire up a shell
- rpm -ivh new-kernel.rpm (and don#t type rpm -Uvh here accidentally)

or scheme 2:

- put a repo file below /etc/yum.repo once
- always get the new kernel from davej-repo when I do a yum update, If
something breaks I can easily go back to an older kernel.

or scheme 3, for users that don't always want to install kernels from
that repo

- put a repo file below /etc/yum.repo once, that is disabled by default
- think "hey, maybe davej released a new kernel"
- run something like
"yum --enablerepo=davej-test-kernels update kernel"

Scheme 2 is best for me. I'd like to run it to help testing this
kernels. But even scheme 3 is a lot easier for most people than scheme
1. And easier here means IMHO: Kernel gets more testing.

And yes, surely I can mirror that repo and add a createrepo as part of
the mirroring. <sarcasm>Sounds like a really really good idea to me. Why
don't we do that for updates and rawhide, too?
</sarcasm>^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W But that is unneeded
overhead IMHO. I complicates things without need.

-thorsten "insert a jef-spaleta-like-sentence here" leemhuis