How does RPM know what architecture we're on?

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Sat Sep 24 23:03:40 UTC 2005

Hi all,

      We recently moved an FC3 system from a box running an i586 processor
to one running an i686.  We then upgraded the kernel, glibc and ssl stuff
to the i686 versions.  We had to use the --ignorearch flag to get it done.
Now, even when we upgrade any of those packages, yum wants to install the
i386 versions, and rpm says:
 	package glibc-2.3.5-0.fc3.1 is intended for a i686 architecture
 	package nptl-devel-2.3.5-0.fc3.1 is intended for a i686 architecture

      Obviously, Anaconda puts info somewhere describing the architecture
of the installed system.  Any ideas?

         TIA.

--
Bill in Denver