Help with Samba

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Sep 26 10:05:06 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 23.09.2005, 13:16 -0500 schrieb Harol Hunter:
> I'm having a problem configuring samba to access my LAN, when a make
>
> $ ping machine
>
> what I get is
>
> unknown host machine

You don't need to care about this for a Samba / Win client
configuration. This problem is due to the fact that you didn't set up a
DNS for your internal TCP/IP network. You may not need it it you don't
have to access machines by TCP/IP. Windows can work without DNS.

> However if make
>
> $smbclient -L \\machine
>
> or try to see it in Nautilus, samba does recognize the machine , even
> when I can't access it because when I try it says
>
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> machine = W2K
>
> and I'm usin FC4

Perhaps you may follow the step-by-step guide at
http://morna.barkhof.uni-bremen.de/Fedora-Samba-Draft.html

Peter