school room network

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:26:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 01:40, Eric Tanguy wrote:

> > You might want to look at the k12ltsp project that adds network
> > booting for thin clients and some other extra program to a
> > fedora base.  Even if you don't use the network boot facility
> > much of the management is the same and there is an add-on set
> > of scripts to manage samba/ldap authentication to combine
> > accounts and home directories with windows clients.
> > http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/
> >
> year it could be a good solution but i don't want thin client in this
> room cause the server will not be sufficient.
> I think the best is to use ldap for fc3 authentication but i'm not sure
> how to use ldap with samba ?

You don't have to use the network boot capability if you
don't want it, or you could just use a few thin clients
along with standalone linux and windows boxes.  The
samba/ldap howto developed for k12ltsp is at:
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3ALDAP
I'm not sure if they include the equivalent of nis home
directories since thin clients use the server directly
and when they use multiple servers they mount a common
/home instead of individual home directories.  If you
only have one server you can hard-code it or use the
automounter.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com