RedHat registration needed for Fedora Core 4 to have up2date working??

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Sep 26 16:12:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-26-09 at 22:00 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 14:20 +0200, Masopust Christian wrote:
>
> > is it true that RedHat registration and purchase of warenty is
> > neccessary for up2date working on FC4??
>
> No.  And it wouldn't help you, up2date doesn't work properly with Fedora
> Core 4.  It can be made to do something, but it's a fight, and doesn't
> fit into the description of working properly.
>
> My advice, remove the rhn and up2date packages.  Since they don't work,
> and you'll most probably end up doing things some other way.  i.e. YUM.

I can't believe I am asking this, but ; Has a Bugzilla been filled out.

In RHEL 4 the only package manager that does work properly is up2date,
YUM and the GUI package manager make a nasty mess resolving or
should I say failing to resolve dependencies properly.

Is RH committed to fixing up2date?

Does anyone have any current experience with Red Carpet?