5.1 channel on linux

I have FC4 on Intel D865G chipset. It got on-board audio with 6 channel capability.
Under Linux I unable to get sample (and other) 6 channel sound files to show full functioning of audio system.
All sound works in 2 channel mode. Kmix provides a switch for "spread stereo to surround speaker" but that is not 5.1 surround.

I check Intel site for linux audio drivers - but only redhat versions are listed.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_drive.htm

Can someone please tell
1. If it is a must then which version of Intel driver meant for redhat will work with FC4?
2. What settings / combination in ALSA etc. will make sound system work in 5.1 channel mode?
 I have latest ALSA, kde, xmms, mplayer, xine, and kernels (2.6.12-1.1456)  rpms installed.
Thanks
--
Anil Kumar Shrama