Building firefox, tool-chain broken?

Hello.
I thought I was going to help out a little on the Mozilla project, but when trying to build from source I got kicked in the balls by the message;

"/usr/bin/ld: deflate.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `memcpy@@GLIBC_2.2.5' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC"

I have tried tweaking the build in several ways to go around it but without success, and the Mozilla folks simply says "your tool-chain sucks/is broken".

What can I do to solve this and make the build succeed?

I use FC4/amd64.

// ap