Failed boot log?

My FC4 laptop fails to boot a kernel I just downloaded with yum, and after
flashing a couple of screens of boot text too fast to read it restarts the
machine and I have to boot from my original kernel.  I've searched in
/var/log and can't find any record of the failed boot, so I'm having a lot
of trouble diagnosing it.  Is there a log of the failed boot somewhere on my
machine that can help me determine what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Stephen Brueckner, ATC-NY