win xp hm <-> fc4?!

Morgan Read mstuff at pl.net
Wed Sep 28 12:37:10 UTC 2005

windoze xp home <-> fc4

This is realy basic - just one xover cable and two machines, just like to
mount the win share and see it on my desktop.

Is there an howto somewhere for this?  (I have looked.)  It must be soooo
common.  Is there someone who's done it can give me a quick run down?

I've got ping going (but, how to change win box to something sensible like
192.168.0.2?)

It's so long I've touched windoze that it's as much about windoze set up as fc4.

Re fc4:
- What daemons do I need - just for seeing win share do I need smbd/nmbd?
Or, will just netfs do?
- I'd prefer to just use the gui tools - what do I fill in to "Connect to
Server" under the Places menu?

Re windoze:
- How do I avoid all those wizards and get to the guts, and once there what
do I do?
- It keeps telling me the network connection is bad due to not getting any
info over the network, I assume this doesn't matter as all I want is to set
a couple of static IP addy's?
- What corresponds on the xp box with the "Connect to Server" window (e.g.
it has no field for 'workgroup'...)?

Thanks all.
Morgan.

--