ppp question again.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Sep 28 15:09:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:49:56PM +0700, Strong wrote:
> I want to make ppp-connection under usual user (if it's safe, for now it
> is done under root - I'm the only user on this machine) - i think may
> this can help me to kill pppd when connection fails and the daemon does
> not control the situation...
>
> So, i found in ifup-ppp the following line that generate error 36:
> exec /sbin/ppp-watch "${CONFIG##ifcfg-}" "$2"
> as I start it simply by typing:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-mf_gprs
>
> I checked /sbin/ppp-watch permissions, it is rwxr-xr-x - so ok.
> I do not understand what ${CONFIG##ifcfg-} means - I guess it hold the
> reason...
>
> So want to ask You, how make it done: to make user able to make
> ppp-connection?
> Big thanks for Your precious answers.

I don't know how you got to this point but one does not start ppp
communication by executing ifup-ppp directly. If yo use
system-config-network to set up your ppp connection the name of the
connection will , if you fill in the boxes asked for, be assigned an
arbitrary name that is related to the server destination. In my
case it was trinity. The connection is then started by executing:
ifup trinity
and stopped but executing:
ifdown trinity

ifup and ifdown are in /sbin and if they are assigned SUID root anyone
can start or stop the connection. Using modem-lights, a panel
application will make the whole process more transparent.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484