yum is extremely slow

My first few days with FC3 on a dual Opteron x86_64 system.

 Yum is excruciatingly slow.  Is this normal?

When doing
   # yum update
yum grabs most of CPU in doing "Transition Test", the system bogs down, huge lags.

Perhaps I've screwed things up by updating earlier?   However, ever since I got the machine, yum is very slow.

APT:

I tried to install apt, which is, as always, extremely responsive.  But apt-get offered to remove hundreds of packages, so I gave up on that.

I would appreciate any assistance in getting started on getting packages into the system.

Alan Davis

--
~/.signature