SAMBA home directories and SELinux

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Sep 29 16:31:19 UTC 2005

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Stephen Walton wrote:
>

>> smbclient //machine/swalton
>>
>> still throws a NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error when I try to connect
>> to my home directory with SELinux set to "enforcing", and the error
>> message in the smb log file reads
>>
>> '/home/swalton' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting
>> to [swalton]
>>
> Are you seeing AVC messages in /var/log/messages or
> /var/log/audit/audit.log?

No, but perhaps I need a log level tweaked higher somewhere.  It is 100%
reliably true that if I use system-config-securitylevel to set SELinux
enforcing to off, smbclient works fine, and if I reset SELinux back to
enforcing I see the above error messages again.  So SELinux is
definitely the culprit here somehow.