java web start broken

I just installed the latest JDK from Sun using rpms built with the jpackage spec file. The install seemed to work properly and everything that I've tried works, except java web start.

strace shows the error, javaws looping on

waitid(P_PID, 3163, 0xbff85180, 0, NULL) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

This is the same bug that was in 1.4.2.crap. bug.sun.com shows that it's fixed in 5.2 (where's that?).

If anyone has a fix to share (that doesn't involve a preload .so), I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

John