Sudden problem with LAN access to some of the net

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Sep 30 14:31:02 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 1:54 pm, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:15 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 September 2005 10:27 am, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > > Claude,
> > >
> > > 127.0.0.1 is the IP address the lo device on all machines in your net.
> > > This may be some kind of special case, but I think your DHCP server
> > > should hand out the real LAN address of your DNS server, something like
> > > 192.168.x.y.  Why it worked up until recently I don't know.
> > >
> > > Bob...
> >
> > Thanks, Bob - and the other question which is why did it stop working
> > only for some functions (mail, messenger), and on only two PC's out 5?
> > That's why I worded my opening sentence the way I did - one other thing
> > I've noticed this am, is that I'm getting slpd errors on shutdown - well,
> > it just says it failed to shut it down - I had never heard of this
> > daemon, but I read a little about it, and on cursory inspection, it seems
> > like it 'could' be related -- need to keep looking - I just posted this
> > in case anyone else was having the same issue, on the chance it could be
> > related to recent updates... --
> > Claude Jones
> > Bluemont, VA, USA
>
> Claude,
>
> I'm running FC3 and do not have slpd, but glanced at the RFC.  Has there
> been a slpd update lately?
>
> Bob...
Bob: I did some more checking when I got home last night. Still couldn't find
any record of slpd updates. Status indicates that it's running. I get the
'failed to close' message when I shut down - don't know what that's about.

I got things working, again. Two things - the first was to enter the DNS
servers from my ISP in my dhcp.conf file. That immediately brought all
machines back to life. Then, I changed that entry to the address of my lan
NIC, 192.168.2.1 as opposed to 127.0.0.1 - it seems to be continuing to work.
It's a bit of a mystery - why it worked before, and why it stopped working
for two pc's out of 5???

I was looking through the DNS bind server settings with Webmin last night, and
I realized that there's a lot there I still don't understand - more reading
to do... Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA