Re: Sendmail delays

Grant Ozolins wrote:
Hi List,

Quite often when I try to send mail from either PHP or mutt (and probably other processes too), it takes Sendmail some multiple of 5 seconds to accept the email and let the calling process get on with things, i.e. 30, 35, 45, 55 seconds to accept the mail.

My system is based around FC3-minimal on a dual opteron 244 box

I'm using the stock sendmail.mc file except that I have

dnlFEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

and

dnlDAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Commented. I initially thought this might be a greet_pause type thing, but it's not actually implemented.

Sounds like DNS to me. Even if sendmail is configured to accept unresolvable domains, it's going to sit there a long time waiting. What does:

nslookup `hostname`

return? I'm not sure if sendmail uses /etc/hosts but try adding the output of hostname to /etc/hosts on the same line as "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain"

Jay
--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator