Re: Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Tim wrote:
Tim:

A good GUI shouldn't need documentation, though; it should explain
itself intuitively, and provide some hints for the more difficult
bits.

akonstam trinity edu

I have an ex-student who made a claim like this recently. His company
produces a product that needs no documentation. It is "intuitively
obvious" he says.
Balderdash. I am still waiting for the program that needs no
documentation.

Then it's not a "good GUI".  :-\  I did say a good GUI shouldn't need
it, I didn't say all GUIs are good.  A lot are quite crap, like the two
examples I gave.

ANY significant system needs documentation. I take it that the only
good GUI is a trivial, useless one, then.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of non-GUI programs are crap to use
for similar reasons:  Unintuitive ways of working, requires
documentation to understand how to use them, and the documentation is
poor.

Nobody has said otherwise, AFAIK.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.